[Gllug] Network maps

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Fri Sep 27 15:47:51 UTC 2002

Adam Bower(adam.bower at framestore-cfc.com)@Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 04:41:40PM +0100:
> Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> >
> >so, to sum up, for mapping at least, there's not much choice, most of
> >the tools will handle a few local /24's but dont expect them to go much
> >further.  OpenNMS might be an option, as John has pointed out, but it
> >almost requires a super computer before it'll run.
>
> Hmmm, could you define "supercomputer"

something with one or more *fast* processors, and plenty of ram.  i'd
guestimate at least 1gig to run it for a /24.  it used to be a complete
bloated pig, all written in java you see.  maybe it's improved now, but
12 months ago they made no bones about it having big requirements.

> >it really depends on the size of the network, the free solutions should
> >be OK for a small system.  if your talking enterprise, then you really
> >should consider commercial offerings.  but they do cost mega moola.
>
> Nope the free solutions are not good enough yet, and I know about the
> expensive ones having used them in previous jobs. All I want is
> something inbetween what I have found in the free software arena and the
> paid for arena. I am getting this horrible feeling that there may well
> be itches that will need to be scratched soon.

IMHO, (and after having dissed it a bit), OpenNMS is probably your
best option.  only because its more advanced than the free alternatives,
and is somewhat cheaper than the commercial alternative.

altho, i havent looked at cheops-ng, maybe it has improved.

--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 Windows 2000 : Designed for the Internet. The Internet : Designed for UNIX

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk