[Gllug] VACANCY: Linux Technical Consultant / Architect requi red

Walid Shaari ws at melinux.com
Fri Sep 27 09:59:45 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 10:58, Xander D Harkness wrote:

> >Assuming you have the right lines in sources.list ;)
> >
> >However with the likes of up2date this edge isn't that significant.
> >
> I would agree; I would however like to see Red Hat relese the server
> side of this.  I know that they make money from RHN and every company I
> install servers in I recommend that they subscribe.  $60 a year for
> computer security is cheap to a company and it is an easier way to get
> cash out of companies back into the pockets of the developers.
>
> I have tried recommending donations to the FSF, to gnome, Kernel hackers
> or Samba and it never happens.  Get a RHN sub and it is at least some
> form of revenue strem for Linux.
>
> Back to the release of the server side of RHN though:  I would like to
> see it so that people like me or small organisations can set up our own
> mirrors and add our own packages to they - very much like the Debian system.

RedHat didn't release their rhn server, but as there was a need for an
open source one as usual the Current project came to live :)
http://www.biology.duke.edu/computer/unix/current/project

<quote>

Current is primarily intended for the small to medium organization that
wants to control the RPMs installed on its machines. It's completely
useless for the single computer at home that needs security patches
(just use RHN - its free for the first computer)

</quote>

Walid

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk