[Gllug] Next months meeting

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Thu Sep 26 11:31:52 UTC 2002

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Allen Baranov wrote:

> > > personally i'd LOVE to hear about how to start up an ISP
> >
> > Don't... :)
> The advice I got from a friend of mine who was technical manager at an ISP is
> "take a thick wad of money (10 000 000 bucks or so) and throw it in the fire.
> Apparently this will achieve the same effect.

Having done so a few times I can assure you only an idiot would use
anything like as much money.

The true starting cost is about £10,000 to be able to offer a decent
service.

If you want to be able to offer unmetered dialup then multiple that by
four and make sure you get paid quickly.

To offer ADSL (without reselling someone else's service) multiply it by
15-20.

You do need to have a minimum guaranteed income however it's not all that
much.

Of course if you choose to use Solaris or MS <yurch!> as your platform you
will burn an enormous amount of cash and quickly too.

Jason Clifford
--
UKPOST.COM	 	           get your @ukpost.com address now...
http://www.ukpost.com/	 	   professional hosting and colocation