Procrastination (was Re: [Gllug] Forum software)

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Fri Sep 6 17:25:09 UTC 2002

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 06:07:33PM +0100, Ian Norton wrote:

<snip>

> i wrote it quickly in perl and even data dumper was very fast, you could prolly
> knock one out in about 30 days :-)

You're right, I could probably write one pretty swiftly if I put my
mind to it, but there are two minor pitfalls:

1) No time. And unlikely to be any.

this is a minor point compared with:

2) I'm in the middle of a learning binge.

More so than normal. This wouldn't normally be a problem, but the
point of a learning binge is that you don't know how much has stuck
until you do a little project with the new found knowledge. Given that
I'm currently hauling myself up to speed on webwork, struts, velocity
and the rather tasty jcs, a piece of forum software would be an ideal
target for these urges. Could always do it in ruby, I suppose....

For those of you who also lean towards bleeding edge java, useful URLs
are:

http://www.opensymphony.com/webwork
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/jcs

Obviously, there's other stuff that I want to know more about too, but
that's one tip of the iceberg.

Cheers,

Simon

--
"Why do we have to hide from the police, Daddy?", "Because we
use vi, son. They use emacs"

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk