[Gllug] My response to Ivan's comments made at the recent GLLUG meeting.

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Sep 16 08:28:13 UTC 2002

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Colin Murphy wrote:

> GLLUG has a very loose organisational structure - this is my fault.  I
> accepted the responsibility for maintaining the group when the original
> organiser stood down to work abroad.  This was so long ago that I can't
> even remember his name.  If anyone can remind me, please do so.

Alex {I forget his surname}, who moved to Australia.

He had also been actively running the Essex LUG.

> 1). Will GLLUG be dumbed down by the input of Westminster University?

No it will not. Having regular meetings, even if that means occassionally
having "newbie/intermediate" talks rather than advanced ones is a good
thing. Let's not forget that *most* people likely to attend will be either
newbies or intermediate users who will lack knowledge of vast areas of the
Free Software spectrum.

Let's also not forget that there are many of us in the group who have that
knowledge and are willing to share it.

Not having regular meetings is one of the things that has kept me away
from GLLUG. When it first started I was a regular member but then due to a
combination of a vastly increased workload (producing Definite Linux) and
moving away to Stevenage I stopped coming to meetings.

Last year I wanted to come back and tried on several occassions to
determine when the next meeting was to be. On each occassion I got the
impression that the group was either dead or dying due to the lack of
meetings.

I jumped at the chance to come on Saturday and will do so again next
month. Regular meetings are vital to maintaining a presence that
encourages new people, whether they be newbies or "veterans", to  join
GLLUG and a group that does not get new users regularly will die.

Jason Clifford

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk