[Gllug] time for a change

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Fri Sep 27 18:32:48 UTC 2002

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 09:48:39AM +0100, Adam Bower wrote:
> Tethys wrote:
> >>Any suggestions for an alternative OS/Distro?
> >

> >The obvious answer is to try them all. I've advocated this before here.
> >Acquiring knowledge of as many different OSes as possible is IMHO an
> >excellent idea. Make you machine multi-boot, and try each of them.
> >I'd suggest at least Linux, one of the BSDs (personally, I like OpenBSD),
> >and possibly some of the others (Plan 9, GNU/HURD, etc.)
>
> Aaah no, I have plenty of experience of them (well not plan9 or
> GNU/Hurd) but I want a change to one new desktop and not lots of them as
> I have work that needs to get done, I just want something that I can
> play with in my spare time also :)
>
> I am leaning towards Gentoo at the moment but I tried it a version or
> two back and it broke something quite nastily on my system, although I
> think I could attribute this possibly to Grub. The only thing with
> Gentoo is that it is a Linux and I don't know if it will really give me
> much to do with it although I am hoping that if i do go that way
> building an optimised system may give me a little extra speed.

I am running Gentoo 1.4 on my iBook and having reasonable success with it.
I am getting my head well and truly around emerge (apt-get equivalent)
and I am starting to mess seriously with USE flags (compile time
optimisers).  In general I am quite pleased with it.  Upgrading to the
latest software is a simple matter of emerge -u world for a distribution
upgrade or you can simply upgrade individual packages.  One word of
warning if you do a stage 1 bootstrap go and have a cup of coffee for a
couple of days as it will compile glibc and gcc, gcc get done twice I
think.

However there is something satisfying about typing emerge kde on a
minimal install and coming back after a weekends clubbing to find that
it has installed X inbetween.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk