[Gllug] Firewire cards

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 6 18:38:45 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 16:45, will wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Panasonic digital video recorder that has what looks like a firewire
> connector on the front (says DVi on it).  I would like to get a firewire card
> and download video to my PC and edit it and then record to video.  I obviously
> want to do this in Linux.
>
> I was wondering if others have done similar things and have any pointers, like
> do I need any special software to get the video (I guess I can use broadcast3000
> to edit, but what about capture?) I have seen this firewire card from scan:
>
> http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=19528
>
> Is this likely to work?  Can anyone recommend one?

I bought the Adaptec FireConnect 4300 card, which works fine (Texas
Instruments chipset). I use it to run my Iomega peerless drive, though
it came with a 6-pin to 4-pin firewire cable suitable for DV. If you
check out http://www.linux1394.org, the compatibility section is
actually quite comprehensive. I know of people who've had good luck with
the Belkin cards, also. The D-Link DRF-A3 you linked to is not mentioned
on the linux1394 site, and I'd find that alone enough reason to avoid
it.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk