[Gllug] Firewire cards

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Fri Sep 6 17:08:46 UTC 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Huw Lynes wrote:

> Don't know about the D-link card. We have a couple of cards here from
> Belkin that worked pretty much out of the box. We bought them because
> clients kept wandering in with firewire hard-drives. Haven't tried to
> interface them with cameras or VCRs though.

A little over a year ago I had my DC camcorder connected up to a Linux box
via firewire. At the time there seemed to be a bug of some sort in the
middleware library such that only one attempt in five resulted in the
captured data being written to disk (I could see it all in dmesg though
courtesy of debugging).

I've not had the time to look into it again since however I expect that it
should work quite well.

There are a couple of editing software packages out there - freshmeat is
your friend.

Jason
--
UKPOST.COM	 	           get your @ukpost.com address now...