[Gllug] CVS vs RCS

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Fri Sep 20 18:50:17 UTC 2002

Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 14:11, TM wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm begining a new project in C and I've decided it's time
>>to manage my files in a more 'professional' way. After I
>>spoke to a few people at work, the choices seem to be either
>>using CVS or RCS to take care of my code backups.
>>
>>I understand that RCS is meant to be used by a single user;
>>CVS when the project is a collaboration between various individuals.
>>
>>What I haven't been able to figure out yet is if any of the two
>>software packages assumes that the computer that runs the server
>>is always on.
>>
>>I want to have a server on my home PC running Linux (maybe duplicating
>>the server at work, running Solaris). The box at home is not always
>>switched on, like the machine at work. Can anyone tell me if this is
>>going to be a problem please?
>>
>>All suggestions/comments are welcomed.
>

> CVS is essentially multi-user RCS. It's well known as being a
> complicated and convoluted beast.
>
> RCS is not designed for use across a network - indeed, nor is CVS, but
> CVS has at least had this bolted on.
>
> CVS does not require continuous access to the server, but will require
> it for almost every operation.

I put off using CVS for a long time because I tought it would be hard work

I have to say that I have been stunned at how easy it is to use, and how
much easier it has made working on a project shared by two developers.

We started off using only the very basic functionality - a shared
repository with no branches.

Even before we started using tags to mark releases it made life hugley
easier by allowing us to work on the codw seperately and managing the
merging for us (if two people change the same piece of code manual
intervention may be needed).

It also makes working at home much easier :)

I now even use it for small projects on my home machine with a local
repository - I find it really helpfull to be able to look at the
changelog and even get back to an old version if need be.

I suggest getting your feet wet - it is hard to appreciate the benefits
from the outside :)

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk