[Gllug] DVD writers

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Thu Sep 12 14:24:50 UTC 2002

On Thursday 12 September 2002 2:23 pm, Tim Gray wrote:
> [...]

I have a DVD+RW drive here at work for backing up. Apparently, there were a
large group of manufacturers sorting out a DVD RW standard. Then Pioneer
broke off and put out DVD-RW to market first but it isn't (supposedly) as
compatible with DVD players as the newer DVD+RW format from Sony, Phillips et
al. However, DVD-RW has been out a lot longer and is more "out there" in the
market and the media is cheaper.

Sony have announced that there will be a drive available soon that will read
and write BOTH formats which would be handy.

I haven't tried making Video DVD's with it yet but it certainly works fine for
data. I use the growisofs tools from
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
which writes iso9660 images to the disc (and can add more data to the disc
later non-destructively with RW media). I have had no problems reading them
in Windows or Linux but the Mac didn't like it. It was expecting a DVD to
have HFS or UFS only.

BTW, How many LP's do you have and how long has it taken you to transfer it
all?!

Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk