Control of MX record - (Was - Re: [Gllug] Web hosting, email and dns)

Colin Murphy SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Sep 7 12:48:37 UTC 2002

On Saturday 07 September 2002 12:43 pm, Alain Williams wrote:

> If you have ADSL host it yourself -- I do that.

I have a cable modem, so, close enough.  But I assume you have a fixed IP
address?

Let me clarify, you run a domain name server on your ADSL connection?

This then allows you to amend all of the DNS records, inc. MX?

> I have a forwarder (ie a secondary that gets updated when I update my
> DNS) that is at a site with much better connectivity than ADSL, within
> the .co.uk they are listed first.

This is a secondary DNS server or DNS entry on someone elses server?

> So: I maintain my DNS, a secondary shadows my changes.
> The rest of the world goes to my secondary in preference to my own
> machine.

How does this secondary shadow your changes?

--
Colin Murphy
SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk

A man for all seasons, 'specially pepper.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk