Control of MX record - (Was - Re: [Gllug] Web hosting, email and dns)

Colin Murphy SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Sep 7 12:33:05 UTC 2002

On Saturday 07 September 2002 12:31 pm, Martyn Drake wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My hosting provider (kdawebservices.com) does offer some flexibility
> over the control of the domain you're hosting with them.  As well as the
> usual A and CNAME record changes, they do allow you to make changes to
> MX records.  However, you still have the priority 10 mail pointer active
> (and you can't change that via the control panel) BUT you can add higher
> or lower priority MX records to the domain if you wish.

This seems to meet all possible needs.

> Alternatively, host the DNS yourself at somewhere like EasyDNS.com or
> try the DynDNS offering at
> http://www.dyndns.org/mydyndns/custom/features.php, called MyDynDNS.
> They'd allow you to change anything for your domain for a one off fee of
> $30.
This was my original plan, but....

AIUI, if I can't change the MX record of my domain to point to DynDNS I
have nothing worthwhile to point to my server.

I must have completely misunderstood what a domain is.  I thought it went
along the lines of:-
1). Getting an IP address
2). Registering it against a domain name

1 & 2 kinda happen at the same time

3). Changing the DNS entry of this domain name to point at some other IP
address, where your server is.

And that this would be true for all services, ftp, www and email services.
I still don't see why email seems exempt from this.

--
Colin Murphy
SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk

A man for all seasons, 'specially pepper.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk