[Gllug] memory usage in linux

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 1 16:09:25 UTC 2002

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Pavel Bradut Boghita stated:
> Dave, applying your calculations, I have 363 used memory, I am discounting
> the 166 (buffers) and 125 (cached) and that leaves me with 72 megs used for
> processes which leaves me with a cool 314 available for further processes ?

Note that process text pages (the executable code itself) runs out of
the page cache (the `cached' column), and memory-mapped files sit there
as well, so some of that space is being actively used (as well as just,
well, caching).

--
`Mips are real and bitrate earnest, shifting spam is not our goal;
 silicon to sand returnest, was not spoken of the soul.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk