[Gllug] My response to Ivan's comments made at the recent GLLUG meeting.

Colin Murphy SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Sep 15 22:24:52 UTC 2002

At the last GLLUG meeting on Saturday 14th, Ivan took the opportunity to
express his views and concerns with the group.  Some of those concerns
were addressed directly to me.  This is my reply.  The bulk of the email
is preamble, for those that were at the meeting, they may want to cut to
the chase and scroll two thirds of the way down.

GLLUG has a very loose organisational structure - this is my fault.  I
accepted the responsibility for maintaining the group when the original
organiser stood down to work abroad.  This was so long ago that I can't
even remember his name.  If anyone can remind me, please do so.  I took
the role for no other reason than no one else seemed to want it.

I was a very new and inexperienced Linux user, so, to help me run the group
I looked to those in the group who seemed most keen to offer support.

There have been many that have offered their assistance and understanding,
helping with whatever needed to be done to keep the meetings running,
those that seemed to have filled this role the longest include John
Southern, Steve Cobrin, Richard Cohen and Ivan A.  The five of us form the
nearest thing your group has to a committee.

At the start of my responsibility towards GLLUG I was left with the mailing
list, a web page and an open offer of a venue to meet in, all of which was
set up by the original organiser.  I'll take the opportunity to express my
thanks and gratitude to Mark Lowes of Ftech who helps host the site and
mailing list for free, not that this will have had much of an impact on
their business, unlike my incompetence at times.

Gratitude is also expressed to those who helped to provide venues,
including all at GND, John Hearns for CFC and to Sean Tohill for allowing
us to use Westminster University.

Thanks also to Simmon Trimmer who helped with the sponsorship with those
meetings held at UCL.

Ivan took a position at GND, firming up, in my mind, our continued access
to using their offices.  Ivan also took on the responsibility for finding
people to talk at the meetings, a valuable asset to me because I neither
knew enough people eligible to talk or what subjects would be of interest
to the bulk of the group.  Ivan's role was an important one to me,
attracting talkers of interest to the group, and so, maintaining the
interests of the group.

For me, GND offered all of the facilities that GLLUG needed to offer at the
time.  I have to admit to having a very narrow perception of what the
group needs and relied on the other four members of the 'committee' that
the other sub-groups in GLLUG were catered for.  We had desks and chairs
and a roof, we even had access to monitors etc.

My needs for the group were for practical demonstrations and so, it was the
group that shared my needs and interests in that I paid my attention to
looking after.

Ivan left GND and the group realised that it would obviously be awkward for
Ivan to continue to attend and help at meetings at there offices.  This
coincided, if memory serves me right,with the summer, the rooms used to
get unbearably hot with the buzz of activity.  A new venue was needed.

I did my best to try and find a similar venue which offered similar
facilities which, roughly, are:

1).Being central - GLLUG has a large catchment area.  Having a central
location seemed to be the fairest option for all, but especially
convenient for me, living centrally.
To help ease my conscience over this I always valued the idea of having
other venues further afield that meetings might even alternate between.
This would have been the fairest option of all.  I have only ever been
able to find central locations, but I have often requested that people
look out for likely venues where they are.

2a). Catering for the needs of MY group ( I say 'MY' group because it is
the way that I perceive the group to be.) - We need a room with theatre
style seating for the formal lectures

2b). Some space for a hands on, practical use, where people can use
hardware, either to install a distribution on or to go through some
problem with someone.  I've always felt very strongly that there were some
members of the group that gained most benefit by having something
practical while learning.  There was always one, me.  It's equally true
that there are those users that can solve all of their problems by reading
books and man pages, but if they have access to self-reliance they don't
need us for help.

3).An area for people to chat in - hopefully out of earshot of the formal
lecture.

All of the venues we have had have had these to varying degrees

GND had enough rooms for all three of these needs.  It also had desks and
sensible chairs to use computer equipment with.  We had access to
monitors, so users only had to bring their boxes if they wanted to set up
a machine.  They also had a large display for the presentations and gave
us free coffee and nibbles.  They were not central, but had good public
transport.  They had excellent parking.  There was no fixed end time -
within reason.

UCL had desks and chairs, but was only one room - though the corridor got
pressed into service.  It could not offer us monitors, so people wanting
to bring something practical had to bring their own display.  It did have
a projection screen, but we had to rely on Simon and Richard to bring a
digital projector.  It was central but had limited parking facilities.  It
also had a fixed end time.

CFC had an excellent room for presentations, but we still had to rely on
Simon and Richard for the projector.  We had a separate area in which we
could chat and set up equipment.  John Hearns, who worked at CFC was an
excellent contact, helping us with arranging convenient dates for the
meetings.  He also went out of his way to allow us to use monitors kept on
site.  The separate area was a bar, ideal for chatting, not so for setting
up equipment - we had a few tables after struggling with them in the
service lift and no sensible chairs.  It was central but almost always
offered no parking.  John Hearns, since our last meeting there, has left
CFC for more (or is it less) altitudinous climes.  There is a GLLUG member
still working at CFC and I understand that we are still welcome back
there.  I have had no contact with CFC since John left, I have always
thought of the contact now at CFC as Ivan's contact.  Some latittude with
the end time.

Westminster University has two lecture theatres with the use of on site
presentation equipment.  We have a room with existing equipment with which
we are free to play on,  There are sensible desks and chairs for people to
sit at.  There are other areas for people to chat in and a Refectory which
has vending machines, which might even get stocked at some point.  The
venue is central, but there is no parking, except for the very committed,
like Jossette from O'Reilly, who found no problem.  There is a fixed end
time.  The booking of the venue was always unofficial, with priority being
given to CFC use, which could happen at short notice, effecting the start
or end times or even the cancellation of a meeting, not that this ever
happened.

We have had lots of venues, again, I am grateful to all of those that
helped to provide them.  Unfortunately, not one of them seems to have been
perfect.

I have never relied on the continued use of a single venue.  Even from the
GND days, I would look for other likely venues with which to share the
burden of the meetings.  In the early days I had little success in finding
venues available for free, but I have had more success recently with
offers from companies like Learning Tree International and Sony (UK).

In the autumn of 2001, Sean Tohill contacted John Southern in his position
as editor of Linux Magazine.  Sean was offereing the facilities he had to
be used by a local Linux user group.  John  put him in touch with me.

I saw excellent opportunity in the venue to meet some of the needs we had
been lacking from CFC - my bugbear, the lack of sensible tables and chairs
for people to set equipment up on.

I arranged for an Installfest for the venue for December.  GLLUG has not
had an official Installfest in a long while, if ever, partly to do with
the lack of facilities from the other venues, certainly since GND.  Thanks
to all those that helped, especially Sash and Formi who helped -
volunteered at least - to hand out flyers at computer fairs around the
area of the university, and thanks to those regulars that turned up to
help on those days.  It was specifically advertised as an Installfest - we
had no formal talks, and this meeting would have been of no interest to
those that do attend for the formal presentations.

The meeting was a success and I could see that the venue had the facilities
needed for the formal talks too, even better, it had its own digital
projector, relieving Richard of the burden, not that he ever expressed any
complaint about it.  Therefore, I was keen for the next meeting to take
place here also.  I wanted everybody to see what we could get access to.
I was concerned that John Hearns might feel snubbed at my desire to have
meetings away from his venue and approached him directly, and he put my
mind at rest.

This was the February meeting then, the  first meeting that Ivan attended
at this venue.  Afterwards, Ivan  did say to me that he was concerned
about the authenticity of Sean's offer for us to use the venue.  These
concerns seemed to revolve around the patronage to groups like ours, and
his belief that there were some kickbacks for the University or for Sean
himself.  I am unclear of the exact details of Ivans's concerns, perhaps
he will be good enough to post full details.

Sean's offer seemed genuine  enough to me.  The only thing he wanted was
for the meeting to happen on a more regular basis.  This was so he had
some chance to also invite students and tutors from the University.

GLLUG meetings have traditionally been arranged in a very ad hoc fashion.
We would only be able to confirm the date of a meeting once Ivan had
confirmed the availability of his speakers and of the venue.  Sometimes
this left very little time for the announcements of the meeting to be
made.  This was often a point of concern and complaint, pointed in my
direction.

When the proposition was put to Ivan that we make the the meetings more
regular he said he would no longer be prepared to offer his services to
arrange talks as he didn't want to take on the extra stress by having to
work to a deadline.

It was clear that there would be no middle ground on this issue.  From
those that have heard him at previous GLLUG meetings,  you will be all too
aware that if Ivan has an opinion, you can either agree with it or listen
to it again.

I am weak, and I conceded the point, in the hope of keeping some sort of
status quo.

So, after the February meeting we waited on Ivan to announce the date of
the next meeting.

And we waited.

Communication between the 'committee' is informal to say the least -
Richard, Steve, John and myself are usually to be found on the IRC
channel.  I don't know of the others, but I usually get my news of Ivan
and his thoughts via John.

Mid April came - with no news of a meeting from Ivan.  People were starting
to demand a meeting in May and I was keen for the group to take part in
some way with the Installfest events in June.  I approached Sean to see if
he was still able/prepared to offer us a venue.  Bear in mind that he had
not heard from me since March.

To my surprise, Sean was happy to have us back and we tried to arrange
convenient dates.  Unfortunately, due to work commitment from Sean,
holidays and the building works at the University, it became obvious that
nothing would be available until the new term, September.  I took the
opportunity in July, not having heard from Ivan for his arrangements, to
book dates for the September meeting, and to show willing, a date for the
October meeting too.

I understood, from what John had told me, that Ivan had accepted this and
was even prepared to offer his suggestions for talkers.

I had confirmation from Sean, on the 24th July, that both dates were
booked.

On the 27th July, the 'committee', including Ivan, had an IRC chat.  This
was to discuss the arrangements for the new GLLUG website.  It was at this
time I told the members that I had booked dates and asked them for
confirmation of my intention to make the meetings more regular.  There
were no objections, so we announced the meeting to the world in August.

John assured me that Ivan was going to arrange the talks.  I held back
until the 6th September and then started to scrabble around, arranging
talkers.  To those that gave talks this month, please don't get the
impression that you were last minute, choices of dispair, but this will
give you some clue as to why Frank had to wait three week before I could
confirm, one way or the other if his services would be needed.  Thanks for
your patience.

Ivan had not made contact with me, or posted to the new gllug-admin mailing
list that was set up in early September.

And then to the meeting - OK GUYS, THE JUICY
BITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At the meeting Ivan made two comments that came as a great shock to me.

1). Ivan said that by using Westminster University we would be dumbing down
the group.  Now, I have been of the opinion that it has been my role and
responsibility to dumb down the group. I've taken my part in this role
very seriously, aided partly by natural ability, but honestly, there are
some bits I have to work at.  The shock to me was that Ivan thought the
group had some sort of elitist agenda.  I hope it is clear to all that I
have tried to accommodate all Linux users to the group, and even offered
help for those that still have to become users.  I honestly wish that
someone had taken me aside and told me, along with absolutely everyone
else in the group, that our efforts to help all Linux users was not
welcome.  Better to have let me know in a moment aside than let me down
with such a bump anyhow.

2). Ivan suggested that there has been some 'deal' struck between Sean and
myself.  The way it sounded to me suggested that this 'deal' was for the
personal gain of Sean and myself, or, at the very least, to the detriment
of everyone else.   The best response I can muster to this is "I don't
know what he is on about!".  Sorry that I can't offer a more authoritative
statement and bring this important issue to a close sooner for the group.
Once Ivan made this comment, the meeting got very heated very quickely and
Ivans accusations were left without any further explaination or evidence.
Maybe Ivan would like to present both of these to the mailing list.  For
the moment, I can only play the dangerous game of speculation.
3).
The term 'deal', especially in the context it was used suggests to me
contracts and returns.  There is no contract, written or verbal, between
Sean and myself or GLLUG and Westminster or any permutation thereof.

There is an agreement that, for us to use the University as a venue, we
need to give them some advance warning, ideally of regular meetings.  This
is the very thing that I have felt has been lacking from the group from
the beginning, but I have always held back from pushing my point of view
on the knowledge that Ivan had a contrary viewpoint, a position that no
amount of arguing, by me at least, was likely to change.  The commitment
to hold regular meetings is not, in my mind, to Sean and the University
but to the GLLUG members, many who have asked repeatedly for it for so
long.

There is one personal gain that I get out of this 'deal', one that I value
very much.  I can now tell people when the next meeting is when they ask -
and it is ME that they ask!

The fear I have now is that anyone who heard Ivan's comments at the
meeting, and the way it was left hanging is that there is some financial
return for Sean or myself.  If that is Ivan's accusation then he had
better bring forward some evidence of it or withdraw the remarks,
publicly, now!  I have not, and consider it very unlikey that I ever will
receive any financial return from anything I arrange on behalf of GLLUG.
Nor would I want to.

As said, Ivan previously expressed concern about Sean helping to provide
facilities for use to use, of having an ulterior motive.  Even if there is
some other hidden agenda, I don't really care.  All I can see is the
opportunity to use a venue which has many of the facilities that have been
lacking since leaving GND.

I am also fearful of people's reactions and any assumptions that have to my
prompt non-appearance to the pub meeting and that you may be thinking that
I had something to hide, which would be true, my complete lack of
composure.

I had thought of Ivan as a friend or colleague at least.  He has always
been supportive to any problems I've approached him with when running my
machine or when writing articles, on those brief occasions when he would
phone me for a chat.

I do know that John and Ivan had a telephone conversation the evening
before.  John did tell me that that Ivan was gunning for me but not on
what subject or that it would be with such severity.  I had chatted to
Ivan briefly during the day, he gave me no warning of an attack.  I don't
know when Ivan came to his conclusions, prompting him to make his
accusations, but surely there was a better time to approach the subject
than at the meeting, or a better route to pass his concerns on by, than
via my rib cage.

The group needs to discuss the points which have been raised at this
meeting.

1). Will GLLUG be dumbed down by the input of Westminster University?

1a). Is this a bad thing?

2). Ivan makes clear exactly what he means by 'deal', with some evidence.

3). That Ivan makes public his reasons for his distrust/dislike of the
University or of Sean.

4). Do you need someone else on the committee to help with the organisation
now that I have stood down, completely?

Good luck with finding the answers.

--
Colin Murphy
SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk

A man for all seasons, 'specially pepper.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk