[Gllug] My response to Ivan's comments made at the recent GLLUG meeting.

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Mon Sep 16 15:29:10 UTC 2002

On Sun, 2002-09-15 at 23:24, Colin Murphy wrote:
[...]
> At the start of my responsibility towards GLLUG I was left with the mailing
> list, a web page and an open offer of a venue to meet in, all of which was
> set up by the original organiser.  I'll take the opportunity to express my
> thanks and gratitude to Mark Lowes of Ftech who helps host the site and
> mailing list for free, not that this will have had much of an impact on
> their business, unlike my incompetence at times.

Glad to do it.

[...]
> 1). Will GLLUG be dumbed down by the input of Westminster University?

Doubt it.

> 1a). Is this a bad thing?

If by "dumbed down" it's meant that 'lower' or 'lesser' issues will be
dealt with on a more frequent basis I don't think that this is a bad
thing.  Concentrating on the higher/guru end of Linux is all well and
good but it does limit the appeal of the group and the meetings to a
small group.  This I feel would be a worse thing.

As with all user/support groups a balance is needed between keeping the
interest of the 'guru' level people (which with certain people can be
maintained by seeing if they'll do some mentoring of newbies) and
getting blood into the group (which also means more people using Linux,
always a good thing :)

> 2). Ivan makes clear exactly what he means by 'deal', with some evidence.

I would also like to see this.

>From what I've seen (which admittedly is limited) there has been no hint
of anything of this nature.

> 3). That Ivan makes public his reasons for his distrust/dislike of the
> University or of Sean.

Agreed, put up some evidence or at least reasons or shut up.

> 4). Do you need someone else on the committee to help with the organisation
> now that I have stood down, completely?

I'm only of limited use to the group because I'm already over committed
on a number of projects, I'll help where I can but as some of you
already know my response times vary from seconds to months depending on
how quickly the email drops down the mailbox and therefore out of sight.

    Mark

--
TFH <hamster at korenwolf.net>             http://www.korenwolf.net/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk