[Gllug] Google knows all...

Steve Cobrin cobrin at highbury.net
Fri Sep 20 15:34:05 UTC 2002

On Friday 20 September 2002 10:21, Tethys wrote:
> Hmmm... look at the first and third results:
>
> 	http://www.google.com/search?q=%22go+to+hell%22
>
> Tet :-)

Which reminds me, when I was studying Computer Science at Hatfield
Polytechnic, now University of Hertfordshire. The main "time-sharing"
computer Operating System was DECsystem 10, also known as TOPS-10.

On of the builtin command line commands, was "go", used for basic scripting.
Those wacky DEC engineers put several easter eggs in the OS, so if you type
"go to hell" the OS replied "get stuffed!". The other one I can still
remember, was when creating a file with TECO (direct ancestor of EMACS), you
typed "make" and then it would take you into the editor, but if you typed
"make love", you got the message "not war?" before entering the editor.

  -- Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk