[Gllug] Whitelist-only spam filtering

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Thu Sep 12 12:57:55 UTC 2002

Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> 1) I'm not talking about lettings some shadowy third party filter my
>    mail.  I'll do that and maintain the filters myself.  I'm convinced

I didn't mean to imply that you were trying to restrict other peoples
email - just that I see more and more people putting restriction on the
email they will accepet.
  I had trouble at work this week with a company that blaclisted our
mail server without notice or explanation - someone who runs a mailing
list on this server couldn't recieve any mail from us and it took ages
to get the block removed ...

This sort of thing is becomming more common - common enough to see it as
part of a general trend - it is that trend that I refer to.

   There is something about those of us who are 'into security' that is
being taken advantage of by corporations who want to make the internet a
more controlled environment.

>    that whitelists are the only way forward and, if implemented
>    correctly, will not result in lost mail.

there is always more than one way

and when was anything ever implemented that correctly !

> 2) Spamassassin isn't good enough.  I get far to many false-positives
>    and it lets through stacks of spam -- notably recently have been
>    the classic Nigerian scams.
>
> However, the Spamassassin approach is good.  I like the idea of
> scoring and that would be useful for the stuff that isn't in the
> whitelists or is in a provisional whitelist.

I haven't set up spamassasin - but I do get mail on a system that has it
I'm very happy with it (although I don't get enough spam to judge
really) - what I like is that I still get the spams - but with altered
subject line so I can filter them myself.

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk