[Gllug] help lost my CD-burner?

Steve Nicholson yahoogroups at yoursolutions.com
Tue Sep 17 09:17:57 UTC 2002

Hi guys.
typical, my hard drive is starting to throw the odd error so time to do a backup, now I can't get my cd-burner (Yamaha scsi) to work.

I upgraded from kernel 2.2.20 to 2.4.18 by using apt-get, with the new kernel the aha1542 is a module and loaded near the end of booting.  I notice in dmesg the cd-rw isn't picked up as it was when aha1542 was compilied in.  sg and scsi_mod are loaded, using lsmod I see scsi_mod used by both 1542 and sg.

running "cdrecord -scanbus" I get
Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.

Is there a command or something I need to do to get the cd-rw to be recognised on /dev/sr0?  I'm using Debian 3.0.

Man I really need to make time to go through the "linux from scratch" stuff, I'm sure this would help bring me up to speed faster.  It's all the little things that keep tripping me up.

thanks for any help.
Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk