[Gllug] My response to Ivan's comments made at the recent GLLUG meeting.

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Tue Sep 17 11:56:02 UTC 2002

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 09:38:31AM +0200, John Hearns wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 22:24, Jim Bailey wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 04:29:10PM +0100, Mark Lowes wrote:
> > > On Sun, 2002-09-15 at 23:24, Colin Murphy wrote:
> > > [...]
>

> > > If by "dumbed down" it's meant that 'lower' or 'lesser' issues will be
> > > dealt with on a more frequent basis I don't think that this is a bad
> > > thing.  Concentrating on the higher/guru end of Linux is all well and
> > > good but it does limit the appeal of the group and the meetings to a
> > > small group.  This I feel would be a worse thing.
> > >

> I agree with what Jim says.
> And I would like to speak up in Ivan's defence - we really don't
> appreciate the level of speaker which he has tried hard to bring to
> GLLUG, and the level of respect in which the group is held.
> Let's be honest - many LUG groups are meetings in pubs.

I for one do appreciate the level of speaker Ivan has produced and hope
that what ever the outcome is that we continue to attract gurus willing
to explain and for those capable debate the bleeding edge and hidden
depths of GNU/Linux.

> I recently was discussing a web page which one of our Linux Experts
> group had put up, on debugging and crach dump analysis. I got a lot
> of kudos when I casually mentioned that I had talked with Richard Moore
> about dprobes...
>
> As Jim says, pointers to talks are good, and the new website which
> Janet and kim have worked hard on is good for this.
> Maybe we can make more use of the Wiki, and maybe some photographs
> could go on there - though that could scare newbies away!
>

> Going a bit deeper, I genuinely feel bad about the way I left GLLUG
> in the lurch re. the CFC cinema, which was a good venue.

John you are talking bollocks! :)

For as long as I have been involved in gllug I have known you and known
you offering support, help and being there for gllug.  Even now living
in Geneva you are supporting gllug.  You had an opertunity to work for
one of the coolest organisations in the world and took it.  Anyone who
thinks that is wrong should sort it out, including you. ;)

> I've always spoken up in favour of a big computer company in London
> backing up their claims to support Linux by offering us space - but
> nothing has ever come of this. I've tried to make links with the
> HPTC division in Compaq/HP, with no result. I know Colin has tried to
> make links with IBM. I'm disappointed that we can't make these contacts.

At the moment we have Westminister University.  It is not ideal but then
neither was CFC.  If some evil conspiracy is unveiled involving
Westminister University, I vote we move, if a better central London
venue turns up, I vote we move, if we fancy a change of venue I vote we
move.

> But let's face forward. GLLUG has done very well - and is doing very
> well.
> Let's look forward to Linux Expo - in a year when, IMHO, Linux has at
> last reached centre stage. We are likely to have many people there from
> companies, colleges, schools for the very first time.
> We want to present a positive front, as one (*) of the leading Linux
> resources in the country.
> I want to be able to do just what I did yesterday - spot someone from
> the UK on the linuxmanagers list and recommend to join GLLUG.

Shoot me down in flames but isn't the solution to this pretty simple?
Ivan continues to organise and present lectures and Colin and John
organise workshops, clinics and demos.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk