[Gllug] OT anyone operating online forums?

Steve Nicholson yahoogroups at yoursolutions.com
Wed Sep 18 00:03:58 UTC 2002

On 17 Sep 2002 20:48:28 +0100
"Nix" wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Steve Nicholson spake:
> > yes removing email addresses part of the plan
>
> Not removing, obfuscating, like
> <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-08/msg01967.html> only perhaps more
> irregularly done so it's harder for spammers to compensate even if
> they're trying to.
>
> The important thing is to keep it available for *humans*.

ah.. yes by removing them I mean not available to bots etc but still available to humans.  Everything is being done in databases so the address will be kept and not shown on the site with a link to a form to send the poster a message direct which uses the correct address.  A bit more complicated but it gets round bots compensating for the obfuscation
Then you still have to worry about someone writing a script that uses the links and your own cunning forms:).  I read somewhere that credit card companies where having to write the online application forms so the display order was randomly changed to prevent automated card application bots.  Them criminals are getting more cunning all the time.

Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk