[Gllug] Backing-up / Moving a MySQL database

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Sep 24 09:15:11 UTC 2002

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, will wrote:

> This is the method I have used a few times aswell, just scp'ing the database
> files.  Is it better to use mysqldump, or does it not matter?

Yes it is better to use mysqldump.

While it may not happen often database file formats *do* change and the
result can be madness if you are depending upon binary compatibility in
data files.

mysqldump is an easy to use and reliable means of acheiving what you want.
I may mean an extra two commands being entered however the peace of mind
is worth it. You should be in the habit of using it anyway to backup your
data.

Jason Clifford
--
UKPOST.COM	 	           get your @ukpost.com address now...