[Gllug] Fw: goldfish

John HEARNS John.Hearns at cern.ch
Tue Sep 24 12:17:37 UTC 2002

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Wulf Forrester-Barker wrote:

> Formi <formi at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > cor cordis n. [the heart]; often as seat of emotions or thought ,
> [heart,
> > mind, judgment]; meton., [a person].
> >
> > cardiacus -a -um [pertaining to the stomach]; m. as subst. , [one who
>
> > suffers from a disease of the stomach].
> >
> > In spanish there is cardiovascular... vasculum -i n. [a small
> vessel].
> >
> > What I don't understand is the change in the root, cord - card.
> > Normally it stays intact.
>
> This illustrates why it's always best to be treated by a doctor who is
> fluent in your native language ;-)

This is why the University of Glasgow has to teach its English medical
students to speak the language.

After all, foreign medics need to know what to do when an old dear
comes in to the surgery scunnered after the dry boak.

(Urban Legend Alert - the classes aren't really true.
But my father, who worked in the Southern General in Govan, did
tell me about medics having to be taught the language.)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk