[Gllug] VACANCY: Linux Technical Consultant / Architect requi red

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Fri Sep 27 10:14:27 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 11:58, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> Mark Lowes wrote:

Well, I don't agree.
This is a commercial product offered by Redhat. I think its perfectly
OK.

For information, if you have a big(ish) business Redhat offer Satellite
Server, which sounds very interesting.
You can have your own up2date server within the company - and aslo from
what I read trigger software updates.
I and our Linux Experts group are very interested in this
(we have a BIG user base), but sadly the cost for Satellite Server is
a drawback.

Also, for information, Ximian have a similar product,
http://www.ximian.com/products/redcarpet_corporateconnect/

> I have tried recommending donations to the FSF, to gnome, Kernel hackers
> or Samba and it never happens.  Get a RHN sub and it is at least some
> form of revenue strem for Linux.
>
> Back to the release of the server side of RHN though:  I would like to
> see it so that people like me or small organisations can set up our own
> mirrors and add our own packages to they - very much like the Debian system.

I've done a lot of work on this topic recently.
The best solution I found, if you want a no-cost solution is Current
http://www.biology.duke.edu/computer/unix/current/

The current developers have commented that Redhat have been helpful to
them, IIRC.

We're developing software intallation/configuration management here as
part of the European Datagrid also, if anyone is interested.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk