[Gllug] Knoppix questions

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Fri Sep 27 10:32:28 UTC 2002

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Andrew Black (li) wrote:

> I bought the Knoppix CD at the last GLLUG meeting, and it has proved to be
> rather useful.
> I have a Laptop that has decided it doesnt want to boot windoze any more,
> and being able to run Linux on it without wiping the disk is very useful.
> (For those that don't know it's a bootable Linux CD that runs from the CD).
>
> A few questions
>  - what is the root password

I don't think there is one. To get a root shell you either use the option
from the Knoppix menu or you use "sudo su -"

>  - where does it store its configuration if you change anything. Can you opt
> to store /etc (or part of /etc) on a hard disk partition

Again the Knoppix menu includes an option to write configuration changes
to a permanent store. I believe that this is only to floppy but I could be
wrong as I've not tried it (will shortly though as Knoppix looks to
provide a convenient wife proof environment).

>  - does it include any hard disk diagnostic tool (I have another machine
> that I am having trouble installing linux on and I suspect the disk is
> duff).

I understood that one of it's purposes is to provide a recovery disk so
I'd expect so. Certainly it will have fsck. Beyond that I don't know.

Jason Clifford
--
UKPOST.COM	 	           get your @ukpost.com address now...
http://www.ukpost.com/	 	   professional hosting and colocation