[Gllug] Whitelist-only spam filtering

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Thu Sep 12 17:16:07 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 17:23, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> On Thu 12 Sep, Mark Lowes bloviated thus:
> > We also stated the three conditions under which the checks would be
> > removed
>
> I think you're a bit harsh.  Waiting until she's 18 before she can
> have unfiltered email?

Nope you're missing the point, either she waits until we think she can
handle it (ie a few more years yet but not that many[1]) or if she can't
handle that and demands it then she has to fulfill one of the other two
conditions.

> You may be the coolest dad in the world but

Bwhahahaa... Evil Step-Parent more like, but they've not rejected me or
what I'm trying to get across to them.

> there are definitely things she doesn't want you seeing well before
> the age of 18.  Are you sure she doesn't just have a hotmail account?
> If not, she will soon enough.

They're already using the net but we're doing our best to educate them
in how to act (ie not giving personal details), this extends to all
websites.  We make sure they're both aware of the risks out there (ie
the 'chat rooms are evil' scares but give them some perspective).

I fully expect to be able to let her have unmoderated access within 1-2
years at the outside, but I'll be spamfiltering just to be sure.

It's a wonderful balance between protecting and wrapping cotton wool.

    Mark

[1] Eleven before you ask.
--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>