[Gllug] Whitelist-only spam filtering

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Thu Sep 12 16:43:44 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 18:23, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> On Thu 12 Sep, Mark Lowes bloviated thus:
>

> I think you're a bit harsh.  Waiting until she's 18 before she can
> have unfiltered email?  You may be the coolest dad in the world but
> there are definitely things she doesn't want you seeing well before
> the age of 18.  Are you sure she doesn't just have a hotmail account?
> If not, she will soon enough.

We're straying into parenting here. I vote this is on topic and the
thread is cool.
I am NOT qualified in any way to even have an opinion here -
but IMHO it is a matter of graduation of trust and responsibility.
What is appropriate for a four year old toddler isn't appropriate
for a twelve year old.
For instance, you tell a toddler what to eat, and feed them.
A twelve year old may be encouraged to choose what to eat in a
restaurant (OK - that will be chips :-).

You get my meaning - we don't suddenly switch on to being responsible
adults at age 18 - you learn and are given more freedom as you get
older.

For email, substitute mobile phones. Many (most?) children have their
own mobiles today. I guess its up to parents to educate children how
to use them properly, and without risk.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk