[Gllug] Formatting FAT32, or writing to NTFS?

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Tue Sep 24 23:52:12 UTC 2002

Jonathan Harker wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>Actually I was going to unsub, but I'm still here!
>
>A long complicated story, but basically I had bestowed upon me a new workstation with XP on a
>20GB ntfs partition (hda1), and a blank 60GB ntfs partition for stuff (hda5). One of the first
>things I did was stick Mandrake 8.2 on it (hda6+, which resized the blank ntfs to 45GB or so). I
>have 40GB of my own stuff on a reiserfs disk (hdb5) that I want to stick on the blank ntfs
>partition, because I need some of it in Windows.
>
>And lo, ntfs mounts readonly. "No worries," says I, "I'll reformat it to FAT32." Behold my
>indignation when the disk mgmt thingo in Windows XP only allowed formatting in NTFS.
>"Curses!" I said.
>
>So, dear readers, is there a way of either (1) writing to ntfs partitions or (2) formatting a
>partition to FAT32 from Linux?

That would be mkdosfs /dev/hda6

or similar.  I am sure that (well actually - I am not so sure) that MS
XP should read vfat file systems once their.  Probably just a little
sulky about making one :-)

http://ashedel.chat.ru/ext2fsnt/

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

The above two utilities will allow you to read ext2 file systems using
M$ stuff.

Cheers
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk