[Gllug] More MySQL and scripts

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Sep 25 00:02:00 UTC 2002

Now that I have horde up and running I have another question.

I managed to move the data fine :-)  I used mysqldump as they were
running different versions.

I have now been asked by my users to do something else.

Runs along the lines of "Yahoo calendar emails me when I am supposed to
be somewhere, can this one?"

I had a think about it and was wondering about the best route for doing
this.

The mysqldump presents the data like this:

# Dumping data for table 'kronolith_events'
#

INSERT INTO kronolith_events VALUES (1,'xander','this is a test
meeting','London','','','Xander
test','Hello','0',NULL,NULL,NULL,'2002-09-23 08:00:00','2002-09-26
09:00:00',0,1032798842);
INSERT INTO kronolith_events VALUES (2,'xander','There is
none','Croydon','','','Test2','well well
well','0',NULL,NULL,NULL,'2002-09-26 12:00:00','2002-09-28
13:00:00',0,1032811778);

#
#

The data is structured such that it would be possible to extract events
occuring tomorrow, get the user and email them.

Would those in the know dump the data and parse it or write a script
that queries the database and takes the data from there?

My concern is that with a couple of hundred users it might generate a
lot of data.  I would also be looking to release the script back to the
horde project should anyone else find it useful and it would be good to
do it 'correctly'.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk