[Gllug] [slightly OT]: Linux volunteering

Ian Norton bredroll at atari.org
Sun Sep 29 19:16:17 UTC 2002

i often say this to people i know (i moan about the cut throat attitude of pc
vendors when it comes to charity) i once knew a guy that worked for a firm who
were resellers/leasers in north west london who happily ripped off the RNLI for
about 200,000.

i would gladly volunteer my help to worthy charities, i am however broke, maybe
some rich linux/unix vendor could pay our travel costs :-)

bredroll

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 07:34:28PM +0100, Alex Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi,
> Some time ago I read a post in the list from somebody concerned about
> non profit organizations and NGOs in general, wasting money in
> propietary software licences, when linux and open source software would
> be a much more flexible and cheap solution.
>
> Most of these organizations do not benefit enough from IT
> infrastructures, networked computers, individual email, backup, web
> access etc. Others don't have enough resources to buy PCs, and don't
> realise that linux will also work for them in old systems.I also admire
> all the volunteers who offer their time to help others.
>
> So I have come with a desire to join a linux volunteering group which
> would offer its expertise and technical skills to NGOs, helping them
> migrate from their propietary systems, giving reasonable technical
> support, training etc. This would also be a good opportunity for people
> like me, interested but not gurus, to learn some linux skills from
> others while involved in a good cause. Unfortunately I haven't found
> such a group, not even any NGO asking for skilled IT technicians to help
> them out.
>
> Am I the only one who thinks that our community would benefit from a
> linux volunteering group?
>
> As I see it, a handful of linux enthusiasts, a web page and a bit of
> marketing contacting NGOs would be enough for a start.
>
> If there's enough interest we could arrange for an informal meeting, and
> exchange ideas between pints, or maybe speak about it in the next GLLUG
> meeting (which then would make my first GLLUG meeting attendance).
>
> I'd appreciate your comments.
> Alex
>

> --

----- Message of the Hour ------
You'd like to do it instantaneously, but that's too slow.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk