[Gllug] [slightly OT]: Linux volunteering

Alex Gonzalez alex.gonzalez at freeuk.com
Sun Sep 29 18:34:28 UTC 2002

Hi,
Some time ago I read a post in the list from somebody concerned about
non profit organizations and NGOs in general, wasting money in
propietary software licences, when linux and open source software would
be a much more flexible and cheap solution.

Most of these organizations do not benefit enough from IT
infrastructures, networked computers, individual email, backup, web
access etc. Others don't have enough resources to buy PCs, and don't
realise that linux will also work for them in old systems.I also admire
all the volunteers who offer their time to help others.

So I have come with a desire to join a linux volunteering group which
would offer its expertise and technical skills to NGOs, helping them
migrate from their propietary systems, giving reasonable technical
support, training etc. This would also be a good opportunity for people
like me, interested but not gurus, to learn some linux skills from
others while involved in a good cause. Unfortunately I haven't found
such a group, not even any NGO asking for skilled IT technicians to help
them out.

Am I the only one who thinks that our community would benefit from a
linux volunteering group?

As I see it, a handful of linux enthusiasts, a web page and a bit of
marketing contacting NGOs would be enough for a start.

If there's enough interest we could arrange for an informal meeting, and
exchange ideas between pints, or maybe speak about it in the next GLLUG
meeting (which then would make my first GLLUG meeting attendance).

I'd appreciate your comments.
Alex

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk