[Gllug] Formatting FAT32, or writing to NTFS?

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Wed Sep 25 10:25:42 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 9:47 am, Wolfgang Draskovic wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 September 2002 07:59, you wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 00:28, Jonathan Harker wrote:
> > > So, dear readers, is there a way of either (1) writing to ntfs
> > > partitions or (2) formatting a partition to FAT32 from Linux?
> >
> > Why not (3) use a utility to convert from NTFS back to FAT32 such as
> > PartitionMagic!!
>
> *ugh* is this a linux tool?
>
> mkfs -t vfat /dev/hda5
>
> you may mount ntfs with write-support (must be activated in the kernel).
> maybe you have to rebuild your kernel.
> although it is marked as dangerous I never had any problems using ntfs.

EEEK! Don't use the RW support for NTFS (at least in 2.2 - 2.4 kernels anyway)
because it SERIOUSLY hosed the filesystem when I tried to use it a while back
(see thread from April or May or so)

and I think the you need to tell mkdosfs to build a 32 bit FAT
so its
# mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/hda5
add a -c if you want it to check for dodgy sectors

Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk