controlling headless pc - was: [Gllug] OT - general advice required on possible home setup

Pavel Bradut Boghita bradut at freeuk.com
Tue Sep 17 15:02:16 UTC 2002

On Monday 09 September 2002 6:26 am, you wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 08:26:49PM +0100, Pavel Bradut Boghita wrote:
> > So to conclude: router (usb router), firewall (486 pc) and home lan -
> > webserver/database (pentium400), mailserver(486), ftp(server).
> >
> > Is it possible to control all these LAN components only from the main pc
> > without the need for a KVM switch ?
>
> Absolutely OpenSSH is your friend, I spend most almost all my life in
> it.
>
> http://www.openssh.com/faq.html
>
> If you are using Debian apt-get install ssh and it will run without any
> messing about.
>
> Peace Jim

I decided to start with a pentium machine being set up as an ftp server (to
back up a database from the main machine). From looking on the net I
understand that it is possible to use openssh to do even remote os
installation on headless pc's. The problem is that "openssh headless pc"
google search doesn't bring much in terms of step by step howtos.
If a headless os installation is really possible somehow I am very interested
to know more about it. My Linux knowledge is otherwise very limited. I can
get by installing a desktop system and getting it to do basic things and
that's about it. I haven't yet compiled a kernel. I tried but freaked out
midway so left it for now.

Thanks a lot for your help

Paul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk