controlling headless pc - was: [Gllug] OT - general advice required on possible home setup

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Tue Sep 17 15:17:40 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 17:02, Pavel Bradut Boghita wrote:

> I decided to start with a pentium machine being set up as an ftp server (to
> back up a database from the main machine). From looking on the net I
> understand that it is possible to use openssh to do even remote os
> installation on headless pc's.
That's really interesting! Have you any pointers to that?

The problem is that "openssh headless pc"
> google search doesn't bring much in terms of step by step howtos.
> If a headless os installation is really possible somehow I am very interested
> to know more about it.

I think this is our fault. We are not being very precise here.
We are talking about installing Linux on a standard PC - complete with
graphics card.
Install can be from CD-ROM or the network.
Let's just take the simple case of a CD-rOM intall for now!
But whatever way  - you install by connecting a monitor and keyboard,
and take it from there.

What you do then is not to run the X display manager on it by default.
(OK - you can choose to if you want to!).
Easily acheived by setting the default runlevel to 3

Then you set up the sshd daemon to start at boot, and log in via the
network.

Please ask more questions!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk