[Gllug] [mike at redtux.demon.co.uk: [Fwd: London Linux Expo/Gnome booth/any takers?]]

Tushar Joshi tjoshi at lonix.org.uk
Sun Sep 29 21:50:12 UTC 2002

----- Forwarded message from mike <mike at redtux.demon.co.uk> -----

Subject: [Fwd: London Linux Expo/Gnome booth/any takers?]
From: mike <mike at redtux.demon.co.uk>
To: tjoshi at lonix.org.uk
Date: 27 Sep 2002 19:48:40 +0100

Tushar - could you forward this to gluug list please

It is about Linux expo coming up which I intend getting to.

Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 15:28:35 +0100
From: Telsa Gwynne <hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk>
To: Telsa Gwynne <hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk>
Cc: ross at burtonini.com, ten at gnome.org, mike at redtux.demon.co.uk, michael at ximian.com, dick at ximian.com
Subject: London Linux Expo/Gnome booth/any takers?

Cc'd to as many people as I could think of who might be interested:
if you're not, my apologies. Pointer to appropriate list _extremely_
welcome. Phil H on the cc because then he can laugh at me, and also
in case he has bright ideas. Erm, well, if I hadn't lost his address
again he would be. Tim so he can say, "yes, we may use the Gnome foot" :)

There is a Linux Expo in London on the 8th and 9th (or do I mean
9th and 10th? -- my web connection is flaky right now) of October.
There is a .org part of it. Phil Hands of Debian has landed himself
the "organise this bit" part, for his sins.

Gnome consequently has a booth there now. I can probably make it
for the day of set up and two days of expo following. (Note that
they get very upset about people dismantling booths before the
show ends: the security tend to assume you're trying to walk out
of the place with someone else's computer and the organisers
think it looks bad when you pack up early).

A booth consists of: "a space, and a table and chair. Well,
probably a table and chair". I presume people who sit on it
get exhibitor passes. So now I need stuff to go -in- the
Gnome booth :)

 * One or two cool posters with a stonking great Gnome foot on them
(or something).
  * Flyers with a bunch of info (I can probably do this).
  * Machines with Gnome on them. Ideally with a bunch of
different distros (someone's bound to ask questions about
the RH beta, given Slashdot..). I think RH and Debian are
easy to get (well, I have both :)), perhaps Mandrake too? I
think we're a bit late to try and scab a box with Gnome-on-
Solaris or whatever. Laptops are probably okayish but -something-
with a big display and a three-button mouse would be cool.
This will probably be the second-worst part.
  * Help transporting said machines (and probably setting them up)
We're almost certainly talking cars and people carrying for this.
This is going to be the worst bit.
A laptop on the tube I can do. A box with monitor: no! Done this
on public transport before; never again.
  * bodies. at a minimum, two people on the booth consistently.
  * sleep space that's cheap (free? :)) and near public transport
that gets people to Olympia for the start.
  * monitors
  * secuity locks for machines and monitors -- apparently this is
-very- important.
  * trailing leads/power boards/those things that get you six
plugs per wall socket.

If you can provide -any- of this or know people who can, please
let me know soon. If we can't, we can do this for the Birmingham
one in February, but we should plan better for that :)

I've never organised a booth before. Oh dear. And this was all
rather late in the day. If there is anything else I need to
consider, please say. If someone would like to take over
organising it, ditto (very much ditto -- I am four hours from
London after all)

So if you can do any of this or are willing to sign up for
a morning or afternoon (or more) on the first or second day,
or can help get stuff there the afternoon before and/or set
it up, please let me know. Beg beg.

Feel free to pass this on to any UK Gnome types you know,
although I imagine people in/around London are probably the
most likely to respond at short notice.

I'm now away from email until Sunday, just to make this more
interesting.

If any of the local SWLUG people feel like begging other SWLUG
people for cars and stuff, do go for it; I just didn't want my
"oh god what now" going to an archived list :) Ditto if any
people working in London can liberate boxes for three days,
goferit.

Telsa, gibbering

----- End forwarded message -----

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk