[Gllug] Knoppix questions

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Mon Sep 30 02:23:11 UTC 2002

On Sun, 2002-09-29 at 22:46, Steve Cobrin wrote:
> On Friday 27 September 2002 11:04, Andrew Black \(li\) wrote:
> > A few questions
> >  - what is the root password
>
> All the passwords are locked. The only way to get to root is to type "sudo su
> -" [which happens to be the way I get to root on most machines I look after].
> or you could <ctrl><alt><f1> to get to non x console, or type "knoppix 2" at
> boot prompt.

If you need to a "real" root password, then doing "sudo passwd" works,
(but of course the changes will be lost when you reboot).

Simon

Dr Simon A. Boggis                                  Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science,                     Tel. 020 7882 7522
Queen Mary, University of London, London E1 4NS UK.
---- GPG public key <http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~simon/#publickey> ----

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk