[Gllug] OT: Good ISP & Offsite Storage

Martyn Drake lists at drake.org.uk
Tue Sep 3 14:42:16 UTC 2002

From: "Ian Norton" <bredroll at atari.org>

> basically, its a .org and a .net  i want the nameserver to be changed one
of
> my private ones, (ukreg wont do this, i have to transfer it to a
'registered'
> nameserver whatever that means)

What they require is for you to "register" your nameservers so that they are
designated as such.  When you do this, you must specify the hostnames and
the IP addresses.  Without doing so, you won't be able to use your
nameservers.  It's not just UKReg that insist this - it's required for all
registrars (AFAIK).

> the problem is ukreg.com wont let me change the nameserver to ones they
dont
> like (literally ive had an email saying we could let you use that
nameserver
> but we areny going to,  gits

They surely must have a mechanism to register new name servers?

> i want the domain registrar to let me specify my own ips for the
nameservers

I know that 123-reg.co.uk can do this, you specify the nameservers and their
IP addresses during the transfer and everything is handled for you.

Regards,

    Martyn

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk