[Gllug] OT: Tracker ball, available?

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 11 08:59:45 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 11 September 2002 00:42, Simon wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 10:07:13PM +0100, John H P Southall wrote:
> > Are there any optical tracker ball units which are compatible with Suse
> > 8.0? My preference is for a right handed finger operated model. Would
> > another flavour of Linux be more suitable?
>
> I'm a big fan of the logitech marble mounse (a trackball, despite the
> name) I use the USB version, but the PS/2 version should be fine too.

Just about any trackerball will work either USB or serial or PS/2.
I have used lots over the years. Main difference is do you want to move the
ball with your thumb (so buttons are to upper right if right handed) or move
the ball with fingertips (so ball is central).
It does take a week of so to get into the habit of using one to its best
advantage.
Speed improved dramatically for some things.
About ten years ago we did an experiment playing a simple game.
Using keyboard gave timings of about 5 minutes with a touch typist.
Mouse after a week gave timings of about 3 minutes.
Trackerball gave average timings initially of about 5 minutes but after a
week just 2 minutes. The reason was getting use to the spin. You can skid the
ball across the screen easier. With a mouse you have to pick it up which
after a long day is too much effort.

SuSE is as good as any and you would gain no advantage for mouse support by
changing.

Kensington Orbit are cheap and functional £15 PC World
Microsoft Trackball mouse about £30 but is a thumb operated one.
Microsoft TrkBallEX is finger version for £50
Logitech trackman marble FX is wireless
Kensington TurboBall - Bigger ball (sold as Orbit elite for £30 at Maplin's
Kensington Expert MOuse and Turbo mouse - Trackerballs with easy spin
Kensington Turbo mouse Pro Wireless - when you need so many buttons and
function keys mapped. (Not tried this one)
Logitech trackman wheel cordless Thumb control
Micro or mini USB trackball £15 from maplins (small for laptop use but gave
me cramp in my hand after a couple of hours.
Maplins finger mouse £8 small again but seemed to work better.
I am currently using a Logitech marble wheel+ (finger control) Wheel works
and it was cheap. found it in a small computer shop sale bin for £10
If you need it for industry then Penny & Giles do the rugged ones but be
prepared to spend a fortune.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk