[Gllug] VACANCY: Linux Technical Consultant / Architect requi red

robin.c.smith at bt.com robin.c.smith at bt.com
Fri Sep 27 07:51:40 UTC 2002

To patch Debian for the latest security patches you just type:- apt-get
dist-upgrade.

I gave up using Slackware then Red Hat in favour of Debian because the
package management in Debian is the best in the world -IMHO.

Specifically one night I had to install the X3270 emulator on Red Hat, every
time I thought I had the correct packages installed it would then ask me to
install another one before it that it depends on. Red Hat went the next day
in favour of Debian - to install this under Debian I typed:- apt-get install
x3270 , and it retrieved all the packages it needed and installed them in
the correct order.

Last night I upgraded my Debian Potato firewall to Debian Woody, I typed:-
apt-get dist-upgrade, the whole process worked like a charm, fetched 35Mb of
packages and installed them all with no problems in the right order.

In short the cost savings in man hours with Debian is huge and people cost
lots of money.

HP offer support contracts for Debian, I think you'll admit that they are a
well known company.

Robin