[Gllug] VACANCY: Linux Technical Consultant / Architect requi red

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Fri Sep 27 08:11:47 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 08:51, robin.c.smith at bt.com wrote:
> [...]

Assuming you have the right lines in sources.list ;)

However with the likes of up2date this edge isn't that significant.

> I gave up using Slackware then Red Hat in favour of Debian because the
> package management in Debian is the best in the world -IMHO.

At the moment I'd agree without hesitation but the other distros are
learning and working on their packaging, and while Debian's packaging
system rocks it can be a right bastard to get some parts of the actual
system working nicely once it's installed.

[...]
> In short the cost savings in man hours with Debian is huge and people cost
> lots of money.

Depends on what you're using the machine for, from personal experience
I'd disagree when it comes to the server side of things.

> HP offer support contracts for Debian, I think you'll admit that they are a
> well known company.

but they don't appear to advertise this sort of thing very heavily.

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>
http://www.korenwolf.net/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk