[Gllug] the tao of backups...

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Sun Sep 22 11:23:46 UTC 2002

Adam Bower wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 02:45:54PM +0100, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> > http://taobackup.com/
>
> I know i will regret saying this but point no.1 saying backup everything is
> plain madness, all i backup is /home and /etc/ and my latest Debian kernel
> package and a list of the debian packages i have installed. To be honest I
> think that is also a little over the top.
>
> Thing is also with backups you have to be careful if you backup everything as
> of course if you are hacked and have to restore you may end up just
> reinstalling the trojans.

Very true.

However, backups are not just made in case of hacking - they are also made
for disaster recovery.
In a commercial environment, you should be sure that you can bring back your
web and file servers from a complete hardware crash  - or even theft of
equipment.

It is a good idea to brainstorm on this with your colleagues,
and practise a rebuild/restore of your server on similar hardware.
Your bosses will be reassured when you can answer them truthfully, and give
a real estimate of how long a restore will take.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk