[Gllug] the tao of backups...

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at start.no
Sat Sep 21 17:14:21 UTC 2002

On Sep 21 2002, Walid was overheard saying:
> On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 17:22, Adam Bower wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 02:45:54PM +0100, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> > > http://taobackup.com/
> >
> > I know i will regret saying this but point no.1 saying backup everything is
> > plain madness, all i backup is /home and /etc/ and my latest Debian kernel
> > package and a list of the debian packages i have installed. To be honest I
> > think that is also a little over the top.

That point seemed a bit strange to me too. The point about laborous and
time-consuming installs seems to me to relate more to "the other os"
than to Unix. Certainly in Debian you should get away with just keeping
a list of the packages installed and let apt handle the reinstall. If
you're paranoid, you can of course backup the packages (or sources,
should the original become unavailable) but the unpacked binaries etc
seems a bit overkill to back up to me.

> > Thing is also with backups you have to be careful if you backup everything as
> > of course if you are hacked and have to restore you may end up just
> > reinstalling the trojans.
>
> Thats why they mentioned this in the Integrity page, but I did not take
> it seriously the moment I saw it was another well done creative
> advertisement.

Yeah, I noticed that after I posted the link (I had not yet clicked
through all the steps then). I didn't mean to spam the list with
adverticements, and I'd like to point out that I'm in no way affiliated
with the product or any reseller thereof.

Stig
--
brautaset.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk