[Gllug] 64K Channels and all that ...

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Thu Sep 19 09:19:49 UTC 2002

Just out of interest, we have a connection through a Cisco ISDN router I think,
to the UK Customs facility (PACE) which uses the D channel in the manner
described.  If I recall correctly, when the other end wants us to collect data
they send some kind of control packet over the permanently on D channel which
causes the router to 'dial out' over one of the 64K channels and initiate a
connection to the host computer.

Out of total curiosity, does anynone know how ISDN data (being synchronous ?)
is 'framed' so that each byte is recognised ??

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk