[Gllug] Networks

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Thu Sep 12 10:16:31 UTC 2002

>However when we try to run data over the links over 8 meters long
>we get no data, we get a link (or at least the switch says there is
>one but no data travels) All the cable works fine at 10Mbits and the
>configuration seams to work on cables shorter than about 8 metres.

Did you do the cabling yourselves? We've just been bitten by exactly
the same problem. With Cat5e, you not only need to ensure the pinouts
match on each end, but there is a specified order for the wire colours.
If you use the colours in a different order, then obviosuly the cable
is still "correct", and passes a cable test. However, when you try and
send data down it over anything but a short distance, then crosstalk
between the individual wires means it won't work. Much of last weekend
was thus spent recrimping large amounts of cabling to get the colours
in the correct order. After that, it worked fine...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk