[Gllug] [slightly ot] ADSL config fun

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 18 18:21:04 UTC 2002

On Wed 18 Sep, Mark Lowes wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 08:41, Chris Bell wrote:
> >    I have been told that an ADSL box connected to a BT line must have its
> > own official IP address because of the complications involved in PPP over
> > ATM. I understand that the ATM data packets are all 48 Bytes, with control
>
> The IP connection is made by BT creating an ATM PVC between the CPE
> (your router) and the HGR (homegateway router, BT's box at the ISP).
>
> If the connection is NAT then the CPE must have a routable IP on the
> external (ATM) interface.
>
> If the connection is routed (ie a netblock on the ethernet) then the CPE
> IP is still required, but can be from rfc1918 space, and the routed
> block is included in the radius authentication so a route can be setup
> on the HGR to the netblock via the CPE IP address.
> </freckinghorriblesystem>
>
>     Mark
>
> --
> The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>
> http://www.korenwolf.net/
> I like to travel to other countries and make new friendships based on
> trust
> and mutual understanding. - Ghengis Kahn

   Have I been given incorrect information?
   My ADSL box has a single ethernet connection, but has optional NAT
facilities ready for connection to an ethernet hub, switch, or interface
card, and is described as a router. It must be configured  for PPPoA and NAT
with all the logon details to terminate the ADSL feed and communicate with
the DSLAM/HGR, and it will ADSL connect without any connection to the local
ethernet network.
   Bridging mode is available, but there is no indication that the ADSL box
can use anything other than an official IP address. I assume that if
bridging mode is selected and it does not have an official address, then
there must be at least one computer with an official IP address connected to
be able to complete the link, (but there is no point in having a link if
there is no computer connected). A serial port is available for local
control of the router.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk