[Gllug] Icewm

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 1 13:27:03 UTC 2002

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Tethys moaned:

> "Steve Nicholson" writes:
>
>>Is it normal for XFree86 to grow as applications are opened in X?  I
>>noticed that adding background images to the desktop increased XFree86's
>>size (RSS).  What doesn't RSS stand for, I couldn't see it in the man
>>page for ps?
>
> Yes, it's normal. RSS stands for Resident Set Size, i.e., the amount of
> physical memory that's currently being used by that process (as opposed
> to swapped out to disk, for example, or not yet loaded for systems that
> demand load pages). Note that X doesn't lie about its memory usage, as
> implied earlier in this thread.

Well, it sort of does. The RSS includes all memory-mapped areas that
happen to be resident, which includes things like areas mapped
(sometimes repeatedly) from the video card's memory, and it counts each
re-mapping as more memory consumption. For cards with lots of memory
this can lead to X's reported memory consumption being hundreds of
megabytes above the load it's actually placing on RAM+swap.

--
`Mips are real and bitrate earnest, shifting spam is not our goal;
 silicon to sand returnest, was not spoken of the soul.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk