[Gllug] Offsite Tape Storage

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Tue Sep 3 13:54:44 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 15:06, Alain Williams wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 01:49:25PM +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> > Can't see anything particularly wrong with 'take them home'  - surely the
> > chances of both the Office and Home burning down at the same time are remote ?
> > :-)
> >
> > A cheap (Misco or whatever) small datafiresafe at home will probably cost you
> > less than an offsite storage company !!
>
> Yes ... but if the building does burn down, how long before you will be able to dig
> through the rubble to get at the safe.

And burn your hands on the hot metal :-)

For those that haven't met them, fire safes are made of steel around a
layer of cork. I believe the theory is that the cork chars at the high
heat of  a fire, protecting the contents.
That's the same reason why radioactive sources travel in cork-lined
containers - if the car or whatever catches fire, the cork layer should
give protection.

ps. I'm not dead certain that cork is used in fire safes - we had two
for backup tapes in my last job, and I think they had cork in.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk