[Gllug] OT - general advice required on possible home setup

Pavel Bradut Boghita bradut at freeuk.com
Sat Sep 7 19:26:49 UTC 2002

My home set-up comprises for now of a usb router and a pentiumII-400 pc. I
have also a couple of older boxes lying around (486, Pentium 75) which I am
hoping to put to good use at some point.
I really just want to know in general terms whether what I am proposing is
feasible and worth looing more into.
I want to connect an old pc to my home lan, boot it with a floppy and somehow
taking over from my main pc acting as a console.
(I am running Debian woody)
one of the old pc's (pentium) I want to set up as a ftp server, mainly for
database back-ups from my main pc., another pc set-up as a mail server (486)
and the third one (486) to run as a firewall.
So to conclude: router (usb router), firewall (486 pc) and home lan -
webserver/database (pentium400), mailserver(486), ftp(server).

Is it possible to control all these LAN components only from the main pc
without the need for a KVM switch ?

Thanks a lot,

Bradut

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk