[Gllug] Forum software

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Fri Sep 6 14:23:37 UTC 2002

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 02:22:15PM +0100, Richie Jarvis wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> We at planetclans.com use http://www.ikonboard.com/ - it does pretty much
> what you want - checkout the forums on www.planetclans.com to see how it
> looks.

Looks skinnable, which is a definite plus. I notice that I can still
register for my own account. Is it possible to lock the system so that
only the admin can add new users? Without "hiding" the url? I'm
working on the assumption that because its standard off the shelf
code, just making the page hard to reach isn't going to have the
desired effect.

> The only prob is that it is slow - Perl based forums with Mysql does
> tend to hit the P200 we host this thing on very hard :o(

Bah! My machine for the last 2 years of uni was a P200 MMX, 32MB of
RAM, 2MB Mystique. Lovely, reliable bit of kit[1]. And it ran the
Blackdown JDK just fine (and at speed) No-one will ever need more than
that. Surely?

Cheers,

Simon

[1] Even when someone spilt beer all over it. And when part of the
magic smoke escaped in a moment of drunken upgrading madness.[2]

[2] Though it did smell a bit in the end.

--
"You can't have everything...Where would you put it?" --- Steven Wright

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk