[Gllug] Networks

Peter Childs pa.childs at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 12 08:59:32 UTC 2002

	We are trying to replace an old Bull DPS6 (15 years is old in computer terms
is it not) With a linux based system using C++, Qt and postgres. The system
controls hire cars travelling round London. If you want more details I will
think about giving some.
	We are planning to connect our computers together using a 100Mbits Lan and
switches around our offices in SE1. Maximum cable run is about 30 meters
which is well below the 100meter limit. However when we try to run data over
the links over 8 meters long we get no  data, we get a link (or at least the
switch says there is one but no data travels) All the cable works fine at
10Mbits and the configuration seams to work on cables shorter than about 8
metres.
	The main problem we can see is that there might be problems with interference
on our runs from UPS, Power (Non UPS), CCTV, Serial Cables (for the bull),
phones (4 different types), etc. All the cable is in the same run under the
floor.
	If any one has any ideas I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Peter Childs
PS. I have tried to send this message (or one like it a number of times but it
never seams to turn up on gllug!)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk