[Gllug] Forum software

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Fri Sep 6 10:18:49 UTC 2002

I've been involved with a number of sites where the designers have
thought "a forum would be really nice". I'm now starting to squeeze
requirements out of people, and the current show-stoppers are:

*) The admin of a forums has to be the only one able to add new
users. Most of the time, that is. "Hiding" the URL isn't going to be
good enough for this one, I'm afraid.

*) Different forums need to have different membership lists. User
names can overlap between these forums (I'm willing to bodge this with
seperate installs of the forum software, but would prefer not to)

*) Each forum can have several subforums.

Anyone got any ideas of suitable software? Ideally, I'd like to avoid
using something based on PHP, because most of the forum software that
I've seen written using that is riddled with holes (think:
PHPNuke. PostNuke is little better) Perl might be fine, as would
Java. Running on Postgres would be a Good Thing too.

Currently Jive, Slash and Scoop are the ones that I'm thinking of, but
none of them really offer the first thing, I believe, and I'm not sure
how secure they are.

Haven't really got enough time to write my own, though I'd be willing
to if I did. That and a Blogger. And a Content Management System.

Cheers,

Simon

--
"> Who died and made you superuser?
Obviously some badly written Perl script.  Someone should tell the author

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk